How do meglitinide drugs help treat diabetes?

Dr. Jack Merendino, MD
Endocrinologist

The meglitinides Prandin and Starlix prompt the body to make more insulin. They are fast-acting and their effect is fairly short—just a few hours. This means that in most cases they should be taken with each meal, so they are less convenient than some other diabetes medications. They are also less potent. As a result, they are less likely to cause severe hypoglycemia and may be a good choice for someone who has a major problem with low blood sugars from other diabetes medications.

The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes

Bob Greene has helped millions of Americans become fit and healthy with his life-changing Best Life plan. Now, for the first time, Oprah's trusted expert on diet and fitness teams up with a leading...
Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy Specialist

The diabetes drug Prandin (repaglinide) works by stimulating the pancreas to release more insulin, a hormone that helps regulate blood sugar levels. The type 2 diabetes medication is most effective when combined with a proper diet and exercise.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...
How much insulin do I need per gram of carbohydrate?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
The insulin to carbohydrate (I:C) equation takes into account the amount of 1 unit of rapid active i...
How should I distribute my insulin throughout the day?
Here is one formula that some people find helpful as a starting point for deciding how to distribute...
What are alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors slow the digestion of carbohydrates in the small intestine. Alpha-gluco...