How does Humalog interact with other medications or foods?

Humalog works in combination with regular insulin and other diabetes medications to lower blood sugar levels. To maintain normal blood sugar levels, it is important to manage the amount and type of food you eat and the timing of meals while taking Humalog. Your doctor will recommend specific food guidelines, including whether drinking alcoholic beverages is safe for you while taking Humalog.

In addition, your doctor needs to know all the other medications, vitamins, and herbal supplements you take, to make sure these do not produce harmful side effects when combined with Humalog. These include ACE inhibitors, beta blockers, cholesterol medications, hormone replacement therapy medications, thyroid medications, oral contraceptives, and others.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How should I distribute my insulin throughout the day?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Here is one formula that some people find helpful as a starting point for deciding how to distribute...
If I need insulin to control my blood glucose, which type should I take?
Your insulin doses should mimic how insulin works naturally in the body. In people without diabetes,...
What are alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors slow the digestion of carbohydrates in the small intestine. Alpha-gluco...
How can I predict my body's use of injected insulin?
Even if you eat the same amount and exercise the same amount every day, you won’t always be able to ...