Could Januvia suppress my appetite?

Yes, it can. One of its actions is to slow the stomach emptying, so you feel fuller and eat less. In that way, it suppresses appetite.
William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
So to answer this question, we need to go back to diabetes school for a quick review of just how Januiva works in the first place.

Let’s pretend this is an old western movie with John Wayne. We have telegraph lines running from the stomach to the brain. When you eat, the stomach sends of a series of dashes and dots to the brain to let it know the chow has arrived. The more food that comes in, the more signals that are sent. This is how you know when you are full, so you know when to stop eating.

In your body, a hormone called GLP-1 is the stomach/brain telegraph system. Only this is a cheesy old western movie, so we also have some pissed-off Indians who cut the telegraph wires. With the lines down the brain never gets the message that food has come. And come. And come.

Many Type-2 Diabetics feel like they are starving all the time, no matter how much they eat. Now in your body, the po’d Natives are another hormone called DDP-4. In point of fact, the DDP-4 is what is known as a counter-regulatory hormone, and it’s job is to shut off the action of the GLP-1 once GLP-1 has done its job. In T-2s the DDP-4 jumps the starting gun and wipes out the GLP-1 before it can do its job. Yeah, I know, this is much easier if you use a score card.

So let’s just keep it simple with the western movie analogy. At the risk of losing my political correctness license, Januiva is the Calvary, coming over the hill in the nick of time to suppress the Indians. In medical parlance, Januvia is a DDP-4 Inhibitor. It functions by holding back the DDP-4 so your body’s own GLP-1 can do the whole stomach-signaling-the-brain-thing.

So as to your appetite, if you are running hungry because your telegraph wires have been cut by the Indians, then yes, having the Calvary on your side chasing the Indians so they can’t cut the telegraph wires again may reduce your hunger.

I need to point out, however, that the same GLP-1/DDP-4 dance is also addressed by using supersized GLP-1 meds. In this case, you are installing Indian-proof telegraph lines, and these drugs, such as Byetta and Victoza, really do suppress the appetite.