Why should I see my doctor regularly if I'm taking antidepressants?

If medication for depression is necessary, expect to have regular appointments with the physician who prescribed the medication, especially when starting a new treatment. This allows the physician to assess whether the medication is working and to identify adverse effects. In some cases, doses may be increased or decreased. The "perfect medication" in the "perfect dosage" is rarely prescribed the first time. Clearly, the successful treatment of depression requires patience and cooperation from both the prescribing physician and patient.
If you are taking antidepressants, it's important to see your doctor every couple of weeks when first prescribed, then regularly to monitor your progress. Watch as I discuss how often you should see your doctor and why.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What is a dual-action antidepressant?
A dual-action antidepressant, such as Effexor, is a depression medication that also treats physi...
How effective is doxepin at treating insomnia?
Sleep studies have shown that people taking doxepin wake up fewer times at night and spend less time...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?