Why should I see my doctor regularly if I'm taking antidepressants?

If you are taking antidepressants, it's important to see your doctor every couple of weeks when first prescribed, then regularly to monitor your progress. Watch as I discuss how often you should see your doctor and why.
If medication for depression is necessary, expect to have regular appointments with the physician who prescribed the medication, especially when starting a new treatment. This allows the physician to assess whether the medication is working and to identify adverse effects. In some cases, doses may be increased or decreased. The "perfect medication" in the "perfect dosage" is rarely prescribed the first time. Clearly, the successful treatment of depression requires patience and cooperation from both the prescribing physician and patient.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
Can I have a good sex life if I'm on antidepressants?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
You don't need to sacrifice your sex life in order to treat depression. Some newer antidepressan...
What are the most commonly prescribed antidepressants?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are the most commonly prescribed antidepressants...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?