What should I know about Parnate before taking it?

The antidepressant Parnate (tranylcypromine) can be habit forming. Your doctor will want to see you regularly to monitor you for side effects when you take Parnate. Like other antidepressants, Parnate may trigger suicidal thoughts and behavior. People under 25 are believed to be at greatest risk, especially at the beginning of treatment or when the doctor changes their dose.

Parnate can cause serious, even life-threatening, reactions if you take it along with certain other medications or foods. Pregnant women shouldn't take Parnate because it could harm the developing fetus. Don't begin or continue breastfeeding while taking Parnate because the drug will pass to the baby through your breast milk, which could be dangerous. Do not take Parnate if you have heart disease, liver disease, tumors of the adrenal gland or are going to receive anesthesia during surgery.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What antidepressants can I take if I have multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
If you have multiple sclerosis (MS), various classes of medications exist to treat depression. The s...
What are side effects of antidepressants?
Dr. John Preston, PsyDDr. John Preston, PsyD
Side effects of antidepressants include the following: Common side effects: These include nausea an...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?