What is Cymbalta?

Cymbalta, the prescription drug duloxetine, is used to treat depression and general anxiety disorder (GAD). It is also used to treat diabetic neuropathy, pain and tingling in the feet, hands and legs caused by nerve damage from diabetes. In addition, Cymbalta can be used to treat fibromyalgia, which may cause pain, muscle stiffness and tenderness. It works by increasing the levels of serotonin and norepinephrine in the brain. Serotonin and norepinephrine are natural substances that affect mood and are believed to help control and suppress feelings of pain. Cymbalta is in a class of drugs called selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs).

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What medications should I avoid if I take antidepressants?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Interactions between antidepressants and other medications vary depending on the antidepressant. The...
Can tricyclic antidepressants help prevent migraine headaches?
The tricyclic antidepressants amitriptyline and nortriptyline (Pamelor) are 2 of the most effective ...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?