What should my child avoid while taking Celexa?

While taking Celexa (citalopram), an antidepressant medication, your child should avoid the following:
  • taking any other medication or supplements, unless you check with the doctor first. Some drugs and supplements may interact with Celexa, potentially causing dangerous side effects. Give your child's doctor a list of all her medications (prescription and over-the-counter) and dietary and herbal supplements.
  • doing any potentially dangerous activity. Celexa can cause drowsiness and problems with concentration and decision making, so even riding a bike might be more dangerous when your child is taking Celexa. Teens who are of age should avoid driving. Wait to see how your child responds to Celexa, and talk to her doctor about ways to keep her safe.
  • recreational use of alcohol or drugs. Alcohol and possibly other drugs used by older children and teens may increase their risk of side effects from Celexa.
  • taking more or less Celexa than prescribed, taking it more or less frequently than the doctor recommends or stopping Celexa suddenly. All of these may increase side effects.
  • missing doctor appointments. Your child's doctor will probably want to monitor her closely, especially when she starts taking Celexa, to make sure she's having a positive response to the drug, check for normal growth (which may be affected by Celexa) and watch for side effects.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What are the different types of antidepressants?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
There are many antidepressants on the market today. Why do we need so many different medications to ...
Can I have a good sex life if I'm on antidepressants?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
You don't need to sacrifice your sex life in order to treat depression. Some newer antidepressan...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?