What antidepressants can I take if I have multiple sclerosis (MS)?

If you have multiple sclerosis (MS), various classes of medications exist to treat depression. The selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SSNRIs), and tricyclic antidepressants are the most commonly prescribed antidepressants for MS-related depression. However, it can take up to eight weeks for all of these products to reach their full therapeutic potential.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How is doxepin used to treat insomnia?
Doxepin is a drug usually used to treat depression. The version for treating insomnia (Silenor) is a...
What antidepressants help treat gastrointestinal (GI) disorders?
Lawrence S. Friedman, MDLawrence S. Friedman, MD
Three groups of antidepressant medications can be used to treat functional gastrointestinal (GI) dis...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?