What antidepressants can I take if I have multiple sclerosis (MS)?

If you have multiple sclerosis (MS), various classes of medications exist to treat depression. The selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SSNRIs), and tricyclic antidepressants are the most commonly prescribed antidepressants for MS-related depression. However, it can take up to eight weeks for all of these products to reach their full therapeutic potential.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How effective is antidepressant medication?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
Most healthcare professionals would agree that treating depression is not as simple as popping a pil...
What is a dual-action antidepressant?
A dual-action antidepressant, such as Effexor, is a depression medication that also treats physi...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?