Should I keep taking antidepressants after I start feeling better?

John Preston, PsyD
If you’re taking antidepressant medications, continue to do so even when you feel that the depression has lifted. This most likely means that the medications are working. If you feel you want to stop taking the medication, discuss it with your medical provider. Standard treatment guidelines for medication use in depression suggest that once symptoms are completely resolved, you should continue to take antidepressants for a minimum of six months, at the same dose. The continued treatment significantly reduces the likelihood of an acute relapse. After the additional six months of treatment, most people can gradually discontinue taking their medications without serious risk of acute relapse. However, when tapering off antidepressants, it’s essential to do so under medical supervision.
Depression 101: A Practical Guide to Treatments, Self-Help Strategies, and Preventing Relapse

When you have depression, it can feel like there's no way out. To begin changing the way you feel, you'll need an arsenal of proven techniques for lifting your mood and preventing relapse. The...

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
Can I have a good sex life if I'm on antidepressants?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
You don't need to sacrifice your sex life in order to treat depression. Some newer antidepressan...
How can antidepressants help a smoker quit?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
When used for smoking, these medications are not expected to change your emotions. While you are ...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?