Is it harmful to take antidepressants for a long time?

Right now, there is not much strong evidence that long-term antidepressant use will cause any serious long-term problems. However there were a few studies that suggested some antidepressant may increase the risk of cataracts. Also, be aware that sometimes, unfortunately, antidepressants may stop working as well as they did initially and are no longer as effective as they once were. Thus, it’s important to always be in contact with your doctor about any questions or concerns, especially when taking long term prescription medications, such as antidepressants.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What are the different types of antidepressants?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
There are many antidepressants on the market today. Why do we need so many different medications to ...
Why should I see my doctor regularly if I'm taking antidepressants?
Dr. Daniel G. Amen, MDDr. Daniel G. Amen, MD
If you are taking antidepressants, it's important to see your doctor every couple of weeks when firs...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?