How does Viibryd work to treat depression?

Viibryd (vilazodone) is thought to treat depression and improve mood by raising the levels of the chemical serotonin in the brain.

Serotonin is a chemical that transmits messages between nerve cells in your brain. People with depression are thought to have low levels of serotonin.

Viibryd is the first antidepressant that works in two ways to boost serotonin activity:
  • It is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI), a drug that increases the concentration of serotonin in the spaces between nerve cells. This allows your brain to make better use of your low levels of serotonin.
  • It is a receptor agonist, a drug that acts like serotonin on receptors for that chemical on nerve endings.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What are disadvantages of antidepressants for bipolar disorder treatment?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
It cannot be stressed enough that the use of antidepressants in bipolar I can provoke manic episodes...
Should I keep taking antidepressants after I start feeling better?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
If you’re taking antidepressant medications, continue to do so even when you feel that the depre...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?