How soon after starting Nardil will my symptoms improve?

You may need to take Nardil (phenelzine) for a month or so before you start to feel better. Nardil is an antidepressant medication that belongs to a category of drugs called monoamine oxidase inhibitors, or MAOIs. These work by increasing the level of certain chemicals (neurotransmitters) in the brain.

Your doctor may start you on a low dose of Nardil, monitor you closely and increase your dose slowly if necessary. Once your symptoms improve, your doctor may gradually reduce your dose again. Do not stop taking Nardil when you begin to feel better; suddenly quitting may cause potentially dangerous withdrawal symptoms.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Should I Take Antidepressants If I Smoke?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?