How does protriptyline work?

Experts are not sure exactly how or why protriptyline works. Based on some studies, it seems that protriptyline works by increasing the amount of the brain chemicals (neurotransmitters) called norepinephrine and serotonin. It does this by blocking the ability of these chemicals from going back into the nerve cells. Experts believe that low levels of these substances may contribute to feelings of depression, so having more serotonin or norepinephrine in your system may help improve symptoms of depression.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What should I know about antidepressants before I take them?
Dr. Darria Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Gillespie, MD
If you take an SRI, you should avoid alcohol. If you have had seizures, an SRI may not be a good op...
What are the side effects of SSNRIs in people with multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SSNRIs) include Effexor (venlafaxine) an...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?