How can I minimize the side effects of Effexor?

You can minimize the possible side effects of Effexor (venlafaxine) by working with your doctor to take the smallest effective dose for you. The bigger the dose, the greater the likelihood you might develop side effects.

Many side effects of Effexor are worse when you first start taking Effexor; often they'll get better with time or even go away. Nausea and dizziness, two common side effects, tend to become less of a problem within six weeks of starting Effexor. (Other symptoms, such as abnormal ejaculation and dry mouth, may not get better with continued therapy.)

If you have any side effect that bothers you or doesn't go away, tell your doctor. He may adjust your dose or prescribe a different medication.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What are the side effects of doxepin?
Side effects may include abnormal thinking or behavior, driving or doing other tasks while asleep or...
What should I know before taking tricyclic antidepressants?
Some tricyclic antidepressants may not be safe or effective for children and adolescents. Consult in...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?