How can I minimize the side effects of Effexor?

You can minimize the possible side effects of Effexor (venlafaxine) by working with your doctor to take the smallest effective dose for you. The bigger the dose, the greater the likelihood you might develop side effects.

Many side effects of Effexor are worse when you first start taking Effexor; often they'll get better with time or even go away. Nausea and dizziness, two common side effects, tend to become less of a problem within six weeks of starting Effexor. (Other symptoms, such as abnormal ejaculation and dry mouth, may not get better with continued therapy.)

If you have any side effect that bothers you or doesn't go away, tell your doctor. He may adjust your dose or prescribe a different medication.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

What antidepressants can I take if I have multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
If you have multiple sclerosis (MS), various classes of medications exist to treat depression. The s...
How is doxepin used to treat insomnia?
Doxepin is a drug usually used to treat depression. The version for treating insomnia (Silenor) is a...
What should I know about nortriptyline before taking it?
Nortriptyline may increase the risk of suicide in children and adolescents. If you have a seizure d...
What are the side effects of amitriptyline?
Side effects may include drowsiness, agitation, dry mouth, blurred vision, urinary problems, constip...