Can I take paroxetine if I am breastfeeding?

Paroxetine (Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva) is a selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitor (SSRI), a type of antidepressant used to treat a wide range of mental health disorders. In studies, very low levels of paroxetine were detected in breast milk, so the amount of the drug your nursing baby will get is probably very small.  The medication was almost undetectable in the blood of most infants tested.

Paroxetine is one of the preferred antidepressants you can take during breastfeeding but should be used with caution.  Speak with you doctor about the safety and risk of taking paroxetine while breastfeeding.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How are tricyclic antidepressants used to manage chronic pain?
Tricyclic antidepressants are options for people with neuropathic (nerve) pain, fibromyalgia, or chr...
How can antidepressants help a smoker quit?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
When used for smoking, these medications are not expected to change your emotions. While you are ...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?