Can I take paroxetine if I am breastfeeding?

Paroxetine (Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva) is a selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitor (SSRI), a type of antidepressant used to treat a wide range of mental health disorders. In studies, very low levels of paroxetine were detected in breast milk, so the amount of the drug your nursing baby will get is probably very small.  The medication was almost undetectable in the blood of most infants tested.

Paroxetine is one of the preferred antidepressants you can take during breastfeeding but should be used with caution.  Speak with you doctor about the safety and risk of taking paroxetine while breastfeeding.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

what are possible side effects of tricyclic antidepressants ?
Side effects may include dry mucous membranes, blurred vision, constipation, and trouble urinating. ...
what is a dual-action antidepressant ?
A dual-action antidepressant, such as Effexor, is a depression medication that also treats physi...
how can antidepressants help a smoker quit ?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
When used for smoking, these medications are not expected to change your emotions. While you are ...
what should i know before taking duloxetine ?
Your doctor will need to measure your blood pressure before starting treatment. If you take duloxet...