Can I drink alcohol while taking citalopram?

It's probably best to avoid drinking alcoholic beverages if you take citalopram. This drug can cause side effects that include drowsiness and impaired thinking and reaction time. Drinking alcohol can have the same effects on you, so combining the two could be dangerous. That's especially true if you're driving, operating any other form of machinery or doing any other activity that calls for you to be alert.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How common is taking antidepressants?
Anthony CirilloAnthony Cirillo
Duke University and the University of Arizona periodically conduct a survey on friendship. In their ...
Should my child take antidepressants for their eating disorder?
Antidepressants have only been shown to be effective in treating depression associated with eating d...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?