Can I drink alcohol while taking citalopram?

It's probably best to avoid drinking alcoholic beverages if you take citalopram. This drug can cause side effects that include drowsiness and impaired thinking and reaction time. Drinking alcohol can have the same effects on you, so combining the two could be dangerous. That's especially true if you're driving, operating any other form of machinery or doing any other activity that calls for you to be alert.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How should I take antidepressants if I have bipolar disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Most guidelines recommend an antidepressant only if in combination with a mood stabilizer (e.g. lith...
What are disadvantages of antidepressants for bipolar disorder in dementia?
Sarah N. Mourra, MDSarah N. Mourra, MD
Starting antidepressants in individuals with dementia and depression who may have an underlying bipo...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?