Can I give paroxetine to my child?

Paroxetine (Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva) is a selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitor (SSRI), a type of antidepressant used to treat a wide range of mental health disorders. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not approved paroxetine for children and adolescents under the age of 18, but some doctors do prescribe it to younger patients.

There are, however, some serious issues with giving this medicine to children. Some children and even young adults under age 24 can become suicidal while taking antidepressants, including paroxetine. It is not clear if this is because they are taking the medicine or if they are more predisposed to suicidal thoughts because they have a mental health condition.

If your child is taking paroxetine, play close attention to his or her behavior to see if symptoms are worsening. Look for increased anxiety, hostility, sleeping problems, restlessness, impulsive behavior and talk of suicide or preoccupation with dying.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
Can children take antidepressants?
Children with depression can take certain antidepressants. But the drugs should be prescribed by...
What medications should I avoid if I take antidepressants?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Interactions between antidepressants and other medications vary depending on the antidepressant. The...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?