Can I give paroxetine to my child?

Paroxetine (Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva) is a selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitor (SSRI), a type of antidepressant used to treat a wide range of mental health disorders. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not approved paroxetine for children and adolescents under the age of 18, but some doctors do prescribe it to younger patients.

There are, however, some serious issues with giving this medicine to children. Some children and even young adults under age 24 can become suicidal while taking antidepressants, including paroxetine. It is not clear if this is because they are taking the medicine or if they are more predisposed to suicidal thoughts because they have a mental health condition.

If your child is taking paroxetine, play close attention to his or her behavior to see if symptoms are worsening. Look for increased anxiety, hostility, sleeping problems, restlessness, impulsive behavior and talk of suicide or preoccupation with dying.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

how is doxepin used to treat insomnia ?
Doxepin is a drug usually used to treat depression. The version for treating insomnia (Silenor) is a...
how effective is nortriptyline for quitting smoking ?
Studies show nortriptyline is about as effective as bupropion or nicotine replacement therapy, but n...
how can antidepressants help with weight loss ?
Some antidepressant drugs can control eating by easing anxiety, so that you don't experience the moo...
why might my antidepressant not work ?
Dr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, NDDr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, ND
As one of the most well prescribed types of drug of all time, over 160 million antidepressant pr...