Who should not take primidone?

Anyone who is allergic to the drug phenobarbital should not take primidone because primidone is broken down in the body to phenobarbital and another substance, abbreviated PEMA. Also, you should not take primidone if you have porphyria. Porphyria is the name for a group of genetic diseases in which your body does not make an important component of red blood cells, called heme. Common symptoms of a porphyria “attack,” or episode, include abdominal pain and pain with urination; a rapid heartbeat is also common. If you have porphyria, certain drugs, such as primidone, can trigger a porphyria episode, which can be dangerous—even life-threatening—so it is very important to avoid primidone if you know that you have porphyria.

Continue Learning about Anticonvulsant

What should I know before taking gabapentin?
Gabapentin may not be a good option for women who are pregnant, considering pregnancy, or who may be...
What should I know before taking an anticonvulsant for migraines?
Dr. David C. Fiore, MDDr. David C. Fiore, MD
Before starting an anticonvulsant for migraines, it is important to discuss the pros and cons with y...
Can I take Neurontin with other medicines?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
Yes, but check with your doctor or pharmacist on possible interactions. Generally, neurontin won't s...
How effective are anticonvulsants for treating migraines?
Valproic acid and topiramate have been considered the top choices among anticonvulsants for reducing...