When will my symptoms improve with divalproex sodium ER?

In those with bipolar disorder, divalproex sodium ER was shown to decrease symptoms within three weeks. In those with migraine headaches and epilepsy, it was shown to decrease the frequency of attacks over a period of time. This medicine increases the chemical gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) in the brain. GABA helps to pace brain signals, especially abnormal ones that cause seizures.

Continue Learning about Anticonvulsant

How effective are anticonvulsants for treating migraines?
Valproic acid and topiramate have been considered the top choices among anticonvulsants for reducing...
What should I know before taking an anticonvulsant for migraines?
Dr. David C. Fiore, MDDr. David C. Fiore, MD
Before starting an anticonvulsant for migraines, it is important to discuss the pros and cons with y...
Should blood levels of anticonvulsants be monitored?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Blood levels of anticonvulsants Depakote and Tegretol must be periodically monitored (especially...
What is gabapentin?
Gabapentin (Gralise, Horizant, Neurontin) is a drug that was developed to treat epilepsy. It is also...