What are the side effects of valproic acid?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Valproic acid is an anticonvulsant commonly used to treat mania (abnormally excited mood) in people with bipolar disorder, particularly bipolar 1 disorder. In teenage girls, valproic acid may increase levels of the male hormone testosterone. This can increase the chance of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), particularly in young women who take valproic acid before age 20. PCOS is a leading cause of infertility in childbearing women in the US. PCOS causes the eggs to develop into cysts and results in obesity, excessive body hair, acne, and other serious symptoms.

Continue Learning about Anticonvulsant

Does anticonvulsant use in bipolar teens have risks?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Valproic acid and lamotrigine (Lamictal) and other anticonvulsants carry a Food and Drug Adminis...
Can I take Neurontin with other medicines?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
Yes, but check with your doctor or pharmacist on possible interactions. Generally, neurontin won't s...
How effective are anticonvulsants for treating migraines?
Valproic acid and topiramate have been considered the top choices among anticonvulsants for reducing...
What should I know before taking an anticonvulsant for migraines?
David C. Fiore, MDDavid C. Fiore, MD
Before starting an anticonvulsant for migraines, it is important to discuss the pros and cons with y...