Who should not take carbamazepine extended-release?

Carbamazepine extended-release is harmful to fetuses and may cause spina bifida and other congenital abnormalities. This drug is excreted in breast milk. Talk to your doctor if you are pregnant or a nursing mother, before taking this drug.

You should not take this medicine if you are allergic to certain antidepressants, or have a history of bone marrow suppression.

Do not take carbamazepine extended-release if you have taken an MAO inhibitor in the past two weeks. This drug can cause suicidal thoughts. People of Asian descent, may be at a higher risk of a serious, rare skin reaction. You should not take carbamazepine extended-release if you are allergic to any of the ingredients.

You may not be able to take this drug if you are taking certain drugs that interact with it or if you have liver or kidney disease, lupus, heart disease or heart block, porphyria, any mental illness, or glaucoma.

Continue Learning about Anticonvulsant

What are side effects of using anticonvulsants for bipolar?
Dr. Michael Roizen, MDDr. Michael Roizen, MD
Anticonvulsants, like most medications carry a variety of side effects including gastrointestinal an...
More Answers
What are the side effects of gabapentin?
Donna Hill Howes, RNDonna Hill Howes, RN
Side effects may include dizziness, nervousness, sleepiness, indigestion, muscle pain, and speech di...
More Answers
What medications interact with anticonvulsants?
Dr. John Preston, PsyDDr. John Preston, PsyD
Anticonvulsants can interact adversely with the following medications. Interactions vary depending o...
More Answers
Is it safe to take anticonvulsants during pregnancy?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
There is a risk of birth defects when taking anticonvulsants during pregnancy (especially the first ...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.