Why is it important not to miss a dose of Dificid?

It's important to not miss a dose of the antibiotic Dificid (fidaxomicin), because doing so may make it less effective in treating your diarrhea. Missing doses or stopping before a full course of the medication is finished (usually twice a day for 10 days) may also help breed bacteria that are resistant to Dificid.

Dificid fights specific bacteria, Clostridium difficile (C. difficile), which can cause severe, even life-threatening symptoms. Stopping too soon could lead to bacteria becoming resistant, so that the drug may not work for you in the future.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Why must I take antibiotics before seeing the dentist if I have an implant?
James P. Gurtowski, MDJames P. Gurtowski, MD
Antibiotics are important to prevent infection of an orthopaedic implant after dental procedures, be...
What is an antibiotic ointment?
An antibiotic ointment is an oil-based preparation that fights bacteria on the skin. For example...