Why is it important not to miss a dose of Dificid?

It's important to not miss a dose of the antibiotic Dificid (fidaxomicin), because doing so may make it less effective in treating your diarrhea. Missing doses or stopping before a full course of the medication is finished (usually twice a day for 10 days) may also help breed bacteria that are resistant to Dificid.

Dificid fights specific bacteria, Clostridium difficile (C. difficile), which can cause severe, even life-threatening symptoms. Stopping too soon could lead to bacteria becoming resistant, so that the drug may not work for you in the future.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
How do antibiotics affect good bacteria?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
If you take antibiotics repeatedly, you diminish the population of good bacteria that protects y...
Do I need antibiotics if I have green nasal mucus?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
When cold or flu germs infect the nose, the nose makes mucus to help wash the germs away. At fir...
Do I need antibiotics for my cold if my mucous is thick, green or yellow?
Thick, green or yellow mucus does not necessarily mean you need antibiotics. Mucus is often thicker ...