Why should I continue taking antibiotics even if I feel better?

You should continue taking antibiotics even if you feel better to be sure to kill off all the bacteria that's making you sick, and to avoid the development of antibiotic resistant bacteria. If you don’t take all the doses of antibiotics you are given, only the weak bacteria will die, and the strong bacteria will not only survive, but learn how to resist antibiotics and become even stronger. These are antibiotic resistant bacteria, which can make you really sick.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Can taking antibiotics cause my child to have loose stools?
This is not an allergic reaction to the medicine. Diarrhea and mild abdominal pain are two of the mo...
How do antibiotics work with the body's immune system?
Antibiotics and bacteria. Learn how antibiotics work along side the body's immune system to kill bac...
What types of infections can antibiotics treat?
Antibiotics treat bacterial infections. These include most sinus infections, strep throat, most ear ...