What is sulfamethoxazole, trimethoprim, phenazopyridine?

Sulfamethoxazole, Trimethoprim, Phenazopyridine, also known as Zotrim, is a multi-ingredient medication used to treat specific types of urinary tract infections. These include urinary tract infections caused by strains of Enterobacter species Escherichia coli, Klebsiella species, Proteus mirabilis, Morganella morganii, and Proteus vulgaris. Sulfamethoxazole, Trimethoprim, Phenazopyridine is only meant to relieve symptoms but not to treat the cause of the symptoms. Individuals using this medication should still seek a definitive diagnosis and discontinue use of the medication once alternative treatment has begun. Prescription Zotrim should not be confused with the weight loss drug Zotrim.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
What happens if I don't finish my antibiotic prescription?
It is important to complete your antibiotic course as prescribed. This prevents the infection fr...
When can antibiotics hurt more than help?
Michael B. Dahl, MDMichael B. Dahl, MD
Antibiotics can ‘hurt” by allowing bacteria that have randomly mutated against that antibiotic’s mec...