What is sulfamethoxazole, trimethoprim, phenazopyridine?

Sulfamethoxazole, Trimethoprim, Phenazopyridine, also known as Zotrim, is a multi-ingredient medication used to treat specific types of urinary tract infections. These include urinary tract infections caused by strains of Enterobacter species Escherichia coli, Klebsiella species, Proteus mirabilis, Morganella morganii, and Proteus vulgaris. Sulfamethoxazole, Trimethoprim, Phenazopyridine is only meant to relieve symptoms but not to treat the cause of the symptoms. Individuals using this medication should still seek a definitive diagnosis and discontinue use of the medication once alternative treatment has begun. Prescription Zotrim should not be confused with the weight loss drug Zotrim.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
What should I avoid while using an antibiotic ointment?
While you are using an antibiotic ointment, avoid things that will irritate your wound like clot...
Do I need antibiotics if I have green nasal mucus?
A "green" runny nose is not necessarily an indication of a bacterial infection, but it could be. You...