What should I know about Dificid before taking it?

Before taking Dificid (fidaxomicin), an antibiotic for severe diarrhea caused by the bacterium Clostridium difficile, you should know if you are allergic to the active ingredient, fidaxomicin. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, you should talk to your doctor before you start taking Dificid.

Be sure to take Dificid exactly as prescribed: Do not skip doses or stop taking the drug if your diarrhea and other symptoms go away. Dificid is usually prescribed for 10 days. Missing doses or stopping too early can cause the diarrhea-causing bacteria in your body to become resistant to Dificid, which can make treatment a problem if you have another infection in the future. Missing doses or stopping too early also may allow your current infection to return, even if you think it has gone away.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Why must I take antibiotics before seeing the dentist if I have an implant?
James P. Gurtowski, MDJames P. Gurtowski, MD
Antibiotics are important to prevent infection of an orthopaedic implant after dental procedures, be...
When can antibiotics hurt more than help?
Some people may say there's no harm in taking antibiotics if you feel bad, but if you're fighting of...