What is nitrofurantoin?

Nitrofurantoin is a prescription antibiotic medication used to treat urinary tract infections. Nitrofurantoin kills some of the bacteria responsible for urinary tract infections. Nitrofurantoin does not work for viral infections such as colds or flu.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Why must I take antibiotics before seeing the dentist if I have an implant?
James P. Gurtowski, MDJames P. Gurtowski, MD
Antibiotics are important to prevent infection of an orthopaedic implant after dental procedures, be...
How effective are antibiotics?
Louise E. Sivak, MDLouise E. Sivak, MD
This is a very broad question so you can provide me with some specifics. An antibiotic is effective ...