What is nitrofurantoin?

Nitrofurantoin is a prescription antibiotic medication used to treat urinary tract infections. Nitrofurantoin kills some of the bacteria responsible for urinary tract infections. Nitrofurantoin does not work for viral infections such as colds or flu.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
When should I take antibiotics?
You should take antibiotics to treat bacterial infections if your doctor prescribes them. It is very...
Should I give my child antibiotics for an ear infection?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Your child may not need antibiotics for an ear infection (otitis media). In light of concerns over o...