What is Dificid?

Dificid (fidaxomicin) is an antibiotic prescribed to treat diarrhea caused by a bacterium called Clostridium difficile (C. difficile). The diarrhea caused by C. difficile can be severe, even life-threatening. Dificid works only against C. difficile and only in the intestines. It was approved by the Food and Drug Administration in 2011.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Can antibiotics help relieve pain from rheumatoid arthritis?
Antibiotics are an old treatment for rheumatoid arthritis (RA) that are getting a fresh look, though...
What happens if I don't finish my antibiotic prescription?
It is important to complete your antibiotic course as prescribed. This prevents the infection fr...