What happens if I don't finish my antibiotic prescription?

It is important to complete your antibiotic course as prescribed. This prevents the infection from worsening or coming back, or having an infection that is resistant to the antibiotic.
Not finishing an entire course of antibiotic treatment can have some bad outcomes.  Although you may feel better before your prescription is finished, it is possible that all the bacteria causing the infection has not been killed.  This makes it more likely that the infection will not be cured and will quickly return once you stop taking the antibiotic.  It can also increases the likelihood that the bacteria will become resistant to the antibiotic, and the next time you take the antibiotic it might not work as well.   

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
How can antibiotics cause hyperactivity in children?
Leopold D. Galland, MDLeopold D. Galland, MD
If your child becomes more hyperactive after taking antibiotics, an overgrowth of yeast in the intes...
When can antibiotics hurt more than help?
Michael B. Dahl, MDMichael B. Dahl, MD
Antibiotics can ‘hurt” by allowing bacteria that have randomly mutated against that antibiotic’s mec...