What is clindamycin phosphate?

Clindamycin phosphate is the active ingredient in topical antibiotic products for treating acne vulgaris, in a vaginal cream and a vaginal suppository product for treating bacterial vaginosis caused by susceptible bacteria, and in a solution and powder for solution for injection to treat systemic infections caused by susceptible bacteria. When applied to the skin, the clindamycin phosphate interferes with the susceptible bacteria associated with acne vulgaris: Propionibacterium acnes. It is available as a foam, a solution, a gel, a lotion and a medicated pledget (individual swab), and is available as a generic and under the brand names Cleocin T, Evoclin and Clindagel. When administered vaginally, clindamycin interferes with susceptible bacteria associated with bacterial vaginosis. When administered intravenously, it interferes with susceptible bacteria that cause infections of the skin, skin structures, bone, joint, lower respiratory tract, intra-abdominal structures, gynecologic tissues and blood.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Who should take antibiotics before going to the dentist?
Dr. Todd A. Welch, DMDDr. Todd A. Welch, DMD
You only need to take an antibiotic premedication if the dentist will be doing a procedure that invo...
Should I give my child antibiotics for a viral infection?
Antibiotics should not be given for viral infections. Antibiotics are effective against bacteria...