What should I know before taking sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim?

Speak with your doctor if you are pregnant or nursing before taking sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim. It also is not recommended for people who have kidney or liver disorders, malabsorption syndrome (in which your intestines do not absorb nutrients properly), anyone with a history of bronchial asthma or anyone who has AIDS. People taking sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim treatment for bacterial infections due to an AIDS infection may experience more severe side effects. If you have anemia due to a deficiency in folic acid you should not be treated with sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim. If you are malnourished, have a glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency (G6PD deficiency) or are frequently exposed to sunlight, speak to your doctor regarding sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim treatment.

Tell your doctor if you are taking other medications, especially anticoagulants, angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors, seizure medications, diuretics (water pills) or other sulfonamide drugs. Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim treatment is not recommended for infants under two months of age. Do not take this medication if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. Life-threatening conditions, such as bone marrow disorders, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, skin disorders or agranulocytosis, have rarely been associated with the use of sulfonamides such as sulfamethoxazole. Ask your doctor if sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim treatment is right for you.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
How do antibiotics work with the body's immune system?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Sometimes the body's immune system is unable to activate itself quickly enough to outpace the reprod...
Can I take antibiotics for an oral infection if I'm pregnant?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Your dentist may need to use or prescribe medication as part of your treatment. Some medications...