What should I know before taking sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim?

Speak with your doctor if you are pregnant or nursing before taking sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim. It also is not recommended for people who have kidney or liver disorders, malabsorption syndrome (in which your intestines do not absorb nutrients properly), anyone with a history of bronchial asthma or anyone who has AIDS. People taking sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim treatment for bacterial infections due to an AIDS infection may experience more severe side effects. If you have anemia due to a deficiency in folic acid you should not be treated with sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim. If you are malnourished, have a glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency (G6PD deficiency) or are frequently exposed to sunlight, speak to your doctor regarding sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim treatment.

Tell your doctor if you are taking other medications, especially anticoagulants, angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors, seizure medications, diuretics (water pills) or other sulfonamide drugs. Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim treatment is not recommended for infants under two months of age. Do not take this medication if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. Life-threatening conditions, such as bone marrow disorders, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, skin disorders or agranulocytosis, have rarely been associated with the use of sulfonamides such as sulfamethoxazole. Ask your doctor if sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim treatment is right for you.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
How effective are antibiotics?
Louise E. Sivak, MDLouise E. Sivak, MD
This is a very broad question so you can provide me with some specifics. An antibiotic is effective ...
How were antibiotics discovered?
It is unlikely that anyone alive today can remember what life was like before antibiotics. It was a ...