Is there a generic version of Dificid?

There is no generic version of Dificid. The active ingredient is fidaxomicin, but it's only available under the brand name, Dificid. Dificid, a prescription antibiotic for treatment of severe diarrhea caused by the bacterium Clostridium difficile, was approved by the Food and Drug Administration in 2011. Most prescription drugs have patent protection for a time after approval.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Can taking antibiotics cause my child to have loose stools?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
This is not an allergic reaction to the medicine. Diarrhea and mild abdominal pain are two of the mo...
What should I know about trovafloxacin and azithromycin before taking them?
It is not known if azithromycin eyedrops are safe or effective for children under 1 year old. If yo...