Is there a generic version of Dificid?

There is no generic version of Dificid. The active ingredient is fidaxomicin, but it's only available under the brand name, Dificid. Dificid, a prescription antibiotic for treatment of severe diarrhea caused by the bacterium Clostridium difficile, was approved by the Food and Drug Administration in 2011. Most prescription drugs have patent protection for a time after approval.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
What is an antibiotic ointment?
An antibiotic ointment is an oil-based preparation that fights bacteria on the skin. For example...
When is it appropriate to give children antibiotics?
When your child is coughing, sneezing, and downright miserable, the temptation is there to request a...