What are the side effects of Xifaxan?

Xifaxan can cause side effects including mild itching, headache, stomach pain, gas, bloating, nausea, vomiting, constipation, rectal muscle spasms, and frequent bowel movements. If these side effects continue, or your traveler's diarrhea doesn't clear up in a few days, your doctor might suggest an alternate antibiotic. If side effects become severe or you show sign of infection, see your doctor right away. If you develop an allergic reaction to Xifaxan, seek emergency help. An allergic reaction can cause trouble breathing, swelling in your face and tongue, and itching or rash.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
What are common side effects of antibiotics?
Common side effects of antibiotics are nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain, headache, rashes and al...
Is there a generic version of Baciguent (bacitracin)?
There is a generic version of Baciguent (bacitracin). It is an inexpensive over-the-counter (OTC) me...