What are the side effects of Xifaxan?

Xifaxan can cause side effects including mild itching, headache, stomach pain, gas, bloating, nausea, vomiting, constipation, rectal muscle spasms, and frequent bowel movements. If these side effects continue, or your traveler's diarrhea doesn't clear up in a few days, your doctor might suggest an alternate antibiotic. If side effects become severe or you show sign of infection, see your doctor right away. If you develop an allergic reaction to Xifaxan, seek emergency help. An allergic reaction can cause trouble breathing, swelling in your face and tongue, and itching or rash.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
How do antibiotics affect good bacteria?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
If you take antibiotics repeatedly, you diminish the population of good bacteria that protects y...
Should I give my child antibiotics for a viral infection?
Remember: Antibiotics treat bacterial infections, not viruses. Don't push your pediatrician for an...