Who shouldn’t use imipenem-cilastatin?

Imipenem-cilastatin is an antibiotic. It should not be used to treat a viral or a fungal infection. It also shouldn't be used with drugs that can cause heart damage, such as doxorubicin (Adriamycin, Rubex), doxorubicin liposomal (Doxil), daunorubicin (Cerubidine), daunorubicin liposomal (Daunoxome) or mitoxantrone (Novantrone). People with a heart condition or blockage, kidney disease, are on dialysis, epilepsy or other seizure disorder are at increased risk of side effects.

If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, you shouldn't use imipenem-cilastatin, without first knowing the risks it poses to a fetus and nursing infant. If you are allergic to either imipenem or cilastatin or any ingredient in this medication, do not use it.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Should I give my child antibiotics for a viral infection?
Antibiotics should not be given for viral infections. Antibiotics are effective against bacteria...
Does my child need antibiotics if his nose runs with yellow or green mucus?
When germs that cause colds first infect the nose and sinuses, the nose makes clear mucus. This help...