Is nitrofurantoin safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women?

Nitrofurantoin is not safe for women 38 to 42 months pregnant, those in labor or about to go into labor. Women who are breastfeeding infants younger than a month old should not use nitrofurantoin. Pregnant women who are not at term or women breastfeeding infants older than one month should discuss the risks and benefits of taking nitrofurantoin with their doctor.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Do I need antibiotics for my cold if my mucous is thick, green or yellow?
Thick, green or yellow mucus does not necessarily mean you need antibiotics. Mucus is often thicker ...
How can antibiotics cause hyperactivity in children?
Leopold D. Galland, MDLeopold D. Galland, MD
If your child becomes more hyperactive after taking antibiotics, an overgrowth of yeast in the intes...