What should my doctor know before I start taking ticarcillin-clavulanate?

You and your doctor need to discuss the things that might not make this a good antibiotic for you. First, are you allergic to ticarcillin-clavulanate (Timentin), penicillin or the drugs called cephalosporins, which include cefaclor (Ceclor), cefadroxil (Duricef) and cephalexin (Keflex)? Are you allergic to any drugs? Are you likely to have problems injecting this medicine? Then you may need a loved one or a professional to help you. Make sure your doctor knows all other medicines (and vitamins) you're taking, especially any antibiotics. You also need to find out how often your doctor might want you to come in for lab tests while you're taking this drug, so your doctor can determine how to make sure you keep your appointments.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Should antibiotics be banned in animal feed?
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requested that livestock producers cut back on low-dose a...
Can overuse of antibiotics cause liver damage?
Certain antibiotics can cause damage to the liver, some types such as isoniazid, nitrofurantoin,...