How soon after taking kanamycin will my symptoms improve?

If you are receiving kanamycin for an existing infection, your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cleared, so you will continue to receive it for the amount of time that the doctor directed.

Kanamycin is sometimes used to irrigate the open abdomen of patients during surgery involving the bowels, in which case you will not notice any symptoms.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
When can antibiotics hurt more than help?
Michael B. Dahl, MDMichael B. Dahl, MD
Antibiotics can ‘hurt” by allowing bacteria that have randomly mutated against that antibiotic’s mec...
Do I need antibiotics for my cold if my mucous is thick, green or yellow?
Thick, green or yellow mucus does not necessarily mean you need antibiotics. Mucus is often thicker ...