What is gentamicin injection pediatric?

Gentamicin injection pediatric is a formulation of the active ingredient gentamicin at a concentration designed for more accurate measuring of the small doses for pediatric patients. Gentamicin is an antibiotic used to treat severe infections caused by susceptible bacteria. It belongs to the aminoglycoside antibiotic drug family.

This medication kills susceptible bacteria. Gentamicin is given intravenously or intramuscularly by a healthcare professional in a hospital.

Steven V. Gurland, MD
Gentamicin is an injectable antibiotic that is used to cover a variety of bacterial infections in children.It uisually administered intramuscularly or intravenously.Therapeutic levels have to be monitored to avoid toxicity.

It is used to treat sepsis,pulmonary infections,cystic fibrosis,osteomyelitis,urinary tract infections among others.It has to be used with caution in patients who have neuromuscular disorders or who are receiving anesthetics.It can cause nephrotoxicity
(kidney) and ototoxicity (ears) and should be used with caution in patients who have renal failure.
The dosing schedule is based on the age and weight of the patient and the condition for which it is being used.It is mostly used in the inpatient hospital setting but can be used for outpatient intravenous therapy under doctors supervision.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Why are antibiotics prescribed to people with COPD?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Antibiotics are frequently used during bronchitic exacerbations to fight bacterial infections due to...
What should I know about trovafloxacin and azithromycin before taking them?
It is not known if azithromycin eyedrops are safe or effective for children under 1 year old. If yo...