Does nitrofurantoin affect older people differently?

Older or elderly people may be more sensitive to the effects of nitrofurantoin than younger people. Nitrofurantoin is more likely to cause liver and lung problems in the elderly. Nitrofurantoin should be used with caution by people of advanced age.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Who should take antibiotics before going to the dentist?
Dr. Todd A. Welch, DMDDr. Todd A. Welch, DMD
You only need to take an antibiotic premedication if the dentist will be doing a procedure that invo...
Can antibiotics treat cholesteatoma?
Often, ear infections occur with cholesteatoma, and antibiotics are frequently used to treat those i...