What should I know before my child uses Dulera?

The most important thing to know before your child uses the asthma drug Dulera (mometasone and formoterol) is that it contains a long-acting beta-agonist (LABA). Some studies have found that LABA medicines increase the risk of death from asthma. Children and teens who take a LABA-containing medicine may be at increased risk of being hospitalized for asthma problems. Call the doctor if your child's asthma symptoms worsen when taking Dulera, and call 911 if your child's breathing problems worsen quickly and/or a rescue inhaler doesn't relieve them.

Dulera is approved by the Food and Drug Administration for treating asthma in people ages 12 and older. Doctors do not know if Dulera is safe to use in children younger than age 12. Dulera may cause slowed growth in some children. Your child's doctor may monitor your child's growth carefully during Dulera treatment.

Dulera may cause other side effects and may interact with certain medications. Before your child takes Dulera, give your child's doctor a list of all medicines (prescription and nonprescription) and dietary and herbal supplements that your child takes. Once your child starts using Dulera, do not give him any new medicine or supplement without checking with the doctor first. If your child experiences any side effect from taking Dulera, call the doctor.

Continue Learning about Antiasthma

Could I be allergic to Advair Diskus?
It is possible to have an allergic reaction to the medicines contained in your Advair Diskus inhaler...
How is omalizumab used to treat nasal allergies?
Omalizumab (Xolair) blocks the body's immune system reaction to common airborne allergens. Although ...
How effective are bronchodilators for the treatment of COPD?
Bronchodilators can provide fast relief of symptoms for people with chronic obstructive pulmonary di...
What should I know before taking omalizumab?
It is not known if omalizumab is safe or effective for children under 6 years of age. Omalizumab ma...