What happens if I use Serevent without corticosteroids?

Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Allergy & Immunology
A study, published by GlaxoSmith-Kline, the drug company, examined its slow-acting but long-duration bronchodilator called Serevent, the brand name for salmeterol, although we suspect it could probably apply to any such medication. The study showed that people who used the drug without a corticosteroid to control inflammation were subject to significantly greater risks of "asthma-related events" -- including emergency room visits, intubation, and death -- than those who used the steroids. African Americans were particularly at risk, as is the case with asthma in general. It also showed that only 50 percent of Caucasians and 38 percent of African Americans were using the steroids.

In the years since then, salmeterol has been restricted to use as an "adjuvant therapy" in patients whose asthma is not adequately controlled on inhaled corticosteroids.
Asthma Allergies Children: A Parent's Guide

Asthma and allergies are at epidemic proportions. It doesn't have to be that way. Two experienced pediatric allergists tell everything a conscientious parent needs to know about these conditions,...

Continue Learning about Antiasthma

How effective is omalizumab at treating nasal allergies?
Omalizumab has been shown to provide symptom relief, lessen the need for rescue medication, and impr...
Can taking antiasthma medications increase my risk for eye problems?
Risks of taking Dulera for asthma Taking the asthma drug Dulera (mometasone and formoterol) may incr...
How is omalizumab used to treat asthma?
Omalizumab (Xolair) blocks the body's immune response to common airborne allergens. This reduces inf...
What should I know about theophylline before taking it?
If you take theophylline, you should avoid alcohol. If you have a seizure disorder that is not adeq...