What are the side effects of theophylline?

Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Emergency Medicine
Side effects may include headache, restlessness, insomnia, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, and loss of appetite. Other side effects may include twitching of the hands and fingers, seizures, heart palpitations, the need to urinate more often than usual, dehydration, and an increase in liver enzymes in the blood. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Antiasthma

Could I be allergic to Advair Diskus?
It is possible to have an allergic reaction to the medicines contained in your Advair Diskus inhaler...
Can medication cure COPD?
Below are a list of medications often used to treat symtoms of COPD: Brovana: Brovana (arformoter...
Can taking antiasthma medications increase my risk for eye problems?
Risks of taking Dulera for asthma Taking the asthma drug Dulera (mometasone and formoterol) may incr...