Can I take nitazoxanide (Alinia) during pregnancy?

Nitazoxanide (Alinia) is used to treat diarrhea caused by intestinal infections with the protozoa Cryptosporidium and Giardia. These organisms are sometimes referred to as traveler's diarrhea.

Nitazoxanide has been classified in the Pregnancy Category B by the FDA, which means that animal studies have failed to show the drug causes any harm to the fetus.  However, there have been no adequate and well-controlled studies performed on pregnant women. As with all drugs taken during pregnancy, the benefits of taking it must outweigh the risks to mother and baby.

Continue Learning about Anti-Infective Agent

What should I know about hydroxychloroquine before taking it?
Hydroxychloroquine should not be taken for prolonged periods by children. If you have glucose-6-pho...
What medications does hydroxychloroquine interact with?
If you are taking digoxin, hydroxychloroquine may not be a good option for you. This answer was ada...
What is hydroxychloroquine?
Hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil) was developed to treat malaria, but was later found to be an effectiv...
How effective is hydroxychloroquine for treating rheumatoid arthritis?
Hydroxychloroquine has not been studied as much as other DMARDs. For people with RA, it seems to be ...