What are some treatments for age spots?

Shirley M. Madhere, MD
Plastic Surgery

Thanks to a variety of dermatologic techniques, you don't have to live with age spots. In this video, plastic and reconstructive surgeon Dr. Shirley Madhere describes the various treatments for these annoying blemishes.

Sun spots are caused by excess exposure of the skin to Ultraviolet light. The best treatment is prevention using sunscreens. They protect the skin from UV rays. Antioxidants can be used topically to help prevent skin damage from any rays that do penetrate through. Once you have spots, there are various cosmetic treatments that can help, including prescription bleaching creams, peels, and lasers. One of the most effective lasers I use is the Q-switched Nd:YAG laser, which can give dramatic improvements after a single session. There is a week of bruises at the sites of the dark spots, but you can cover them with makeup. The skin is >90% healed after 2 weeks. The winter time is an ideal time for the procedure, since you likely aren't tan on the rest of your skin at that time.

Ben Kaminsky
Dermatology
To treat sun and age spots, look for hydroquinone, kojic acid, salicylic acid, and vitamin C ester in the skin care products used.
Beyond Botox: 7 Strategies for Sexy, Ageless Skin Without Needles or Surgery

Sexy and ageless skin is possible for a woman at any age--and she doesn't have to resort to invasive treatments like Botox to get it-as long as she cares for her skin properly, says Ben Kaminsky,...

There are medications and procedures available to reduce the appearance of age spots. Medications include bleaching creams, retinoids and steroids. Treatments include chemical peels, cryotherapy, laser therapy and microdermabrasion.

Continue Learning about Anti-Aging Skin Care

The Best Reason to Look Younger
The Best Reason to Look Younger
If you don't look a day older than the age on your driver's license, that could mean a longer life for you. A study of elderly adult twins showed a c...
How can I look five years younger?
Connie HaralsonConnie Haralson
I am in agreement with the other professionals that diet, exercise, and sleep are critical, but what...
Look Younger All Over
Look Younger All OverLook Younger All OverLook Younger All OverLook Younger All Over
Find out what anti-aging remedies and treatments may be right for you.
Meet the Women Who Look Half Their Age
Meet the Women Who Look Half Their Age