What habits and environmental factors cause premature aging?

Dr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Integrative Medicine
Most of the physical signs of aging such as wrinkles, stooped posture, stiff and achy joints, obesity and poor vision are brought on prematurely by environmental factors and the practice of particular bad habits. This means that unless genetically programmed to do so, many of the cells of your body are not intended to degenerate until very late in life—if at all. Excessive alcohol consumption, cigarette smoking, pessimism, anger, impatience, pollution, excessive exposure to sunlight, inactivity, prolonged exposure to stressful situations, and poor nutrition all lead to cellular damage that starts and accelerates the aging process.

Continue Learning about Anti-Aging Skin Care

Busy Woman's Guide: 7 Best Anti-Aging Beauty Secrets
"I want to look older." Said no one ever (no one over 20, that is). Six weeks after my daughter was born, I saw them. Lines! Crow’s feet! When did t...
What is the frugal fix for laugh lines?
Scour your drugstore for products containing antioxidants that have been around for longer and are t...
Anti-Aging Vitamins: What Works, What Might Work
Anti-Aging Vitamins: What Works, What Might WorkAnti-Aging Vitamins: What Works, What Might WorkAnti-Aging Vitamins: What Works, What Might WorkAnti-Aging Vitamins: What Works, What Might Work
Find out what antiaging creams, lotions and serums really work.
The Secrets to Defying Your Age
The Secrets to Defying Your Age