A Answers (2)
Anti-aging product address the signs of aging that are already present, including:
- Loss of skin firmness
- Reduced skin elasticity
- Increased skin dryness
- Pigmentation disorders such as age spots and uneven pigmentation
- Loss of radiance and an increase in dullness
- Formation of fine lines and wrinkles
- Increased fragility to trauma, creating bruises and rashes
- Greater translucency, which shows more veins
- Increased redness due to blood vessel dilation
Most of these are caused by the breakdown of cellular and extracellular components, or a reduction in the rate of key metabolic processes over time. Therefore, there is a need to intervene in these processes to stimulate what is good, such as collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid production in the dermal layer coupled with strong structural proteins and a strengthened natural lipid barrier function. It is equally important to quiet the processes that are bad, such as inflammation, over-stimulation of pigment, and protein crosslinking by sugars, and to inhibit an over-production of enzymes and other agents that break down healthy skin compounds. Remember that a good moisturizer can have very beneficial effects on the visual signs of aging if used regularly. It is also important to protect the skin from UV rays and other environmental and metabolic oxidizing conditions to preserve a youthful appearance.
Some positive benefits of treating the effects of aging include:
- Erasing a bit of aging can ratchet up your social confidence. You know this instinctively, but scientists have actually tested it: Women in one study who, thanks to sun damage, looked older than they actually were felt somewhat anxious and ill at ease. After rejuvenating skin treatments, those insecurities evaporated.
- People may treat you differently. Countless studies show that attractive people are more likely to get job offers, promotions, and raises. They’re also assumed to be smarter and more competent. And they may even get better medical care—surveys say that, consciously or not, doctors and shrinks prefer to treat attractive patients!
- It can have a positive domino effect on your health. When you feel better about how you look, your self-esteem gets a boost, which tends to make you more socially active. I don’t mean dancing on tabletops; you don’t need to suddenly become the star of the party. However, the more social connections you make and the more good relationships you build, the healthier you’ll be, psychologically and physically. And that can be a powerful spark in the drive to do things like eat better and exercise more.
From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.