What are the symptoms of stagnant anoxia?

Because the brain is so sensitive to oxygen deprivation, most symptoms of stagnant anoxia are related to this organ. In fact, it only takes five minutes of no oxygen for brain cells to begin dying. In extremely severe cases of stagnant anoxia, a person will become very confused or fall unconscious. In such instances, a person may experience a coma, seizures, or even brain death. Memory loss, lapses in judgment, and a decline in coordination and motor skills are also symptoms of stagnant anoxia.

Continue Learning about Anoxic Brain Injuries

What parts of the brain are most vulnerable to anoxic brain injury?
The brain damage that occurs from an anoxic brain injury affects the whole brain. Some areas of the ...
How do other illnesses affect anoxic brain injuries?
Cardiovascular disease and strokes can affect anoxic brain injuries by putting you at higher risk fo...
What should I do if I suspect someone has had an anoxic brain injury?
If someone is losing consciousness or you suspect that they've had an anoxic brain injury, call 911 ...
How does the length of a coma relate to anoxic brain injury outcomes?
In some cases, anoxic brain injuries can cause people to go into comas. Generally, the less time a p...