What are the complications of anoxic brain injuries?

A serious complication of an anoxic brain injury is the possibility of entering into a protracted vegetative state. The length of time one can survive in a vegetative state is partially dependent on avoiding additional complications. These may include malnourishment, pneumonia, bed sores, and clots in the veins.

Continue Learning about Anoxic Brain Injuries

Is an anoxic brain injury serious?
An anoxic brain injury is a serious and possibly life-threatening injury in which the brain is depri...
What should I do if I suspect someone has had an anoxic brain injury?
If someone is losing consciousness or you suspect that they've had an anoxic brain injury, call 911 ...
How do other illnesses affect anoxic brain injuries?
Cardiovascular disease and strokes can affect anoxic brain injuries by putting you at higher risk fo...
How does the length of a coma relate to anoxic brain injury outcomes?
In some cases, anoxic brain injuries can cause people to go into comas. Generally, the less time a p...