What can cause the oxygen deprivation that leads to an anoxic brain injury?

Several different kinds of injuries and disease processes can lead to the oxygen deprivation that causes an anoxic brain injury. Among the most common are cardiac arrest, traumatic brain injury, drowning, choking, a general anesthesia accident, and carbon monoxide poisoning. Other possible events that can lead to an anoxic brain injury include electrocution, barbiturate poisoning, chest trauma, and severe bronchial asthma.

Continue Learning about Anoxic Brain Injuries

How does the length of a coma relate to anoxic brain injury outcomes?
In some cases, anoxic brain injuries can cause people to go into comas. Generally, the less time a p...
How do other illnesses affect anoxic brain injuries?
Cardiovascular disease and strokes can affect anoxic brain injuries by putting you at higher risk fo...
What should I do if I suspect someone has had an anoxic brain injury?
If someone is losing consciousness or you suspect that they've had an anoxic brain injury, call 911 ...
What is an anoxic brain injury?
An anoxic brain injury occurs when your brain stops receiving oxygen. This disruption of oxygen flow...