Is there a cure for stagnant anoxia?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Stagnant anoxia is cured by the restoration of an adequate oxygen supply to impaired organs and tissues. The effects of stagnant anoxia can be more difficult to deal with than the actual condition, depending on how long a person has been experiencing oxygen deprivation. It takes just a few minutes without oxygen for the brain and heart to begin to die. If a person's system has been without oxygen for an extended period of time, they may have permanent and significant neurological and psychological problems. However, if little damage has been done, the outlook for full recovery is quite good.

Continue Learning about Anoxic Brain Injuries

How do other illnesses affect anoxic brain injuries?
Cardiovascular disease and strokes can affect anoxic brain injuries by putting you at higher risk fo...
How does the length of a coma relate to anoxic brain injury outcomes?
In some cases, anoxic brain injuries can cause people to go into comas. Generally, the less time a p...
What is an anoxic brain injury?
An anoxic brain injury occurs when your brain stops receiving oxygen. This disruption of oxygen flow...
What should I do if I suspect someone has had an anoxic brain injury?
If someone is losing consciousness or you suspect that they've had an anoxic brain injury, call 911 ...