How does stagnant anoxia affect the body?

Stagnant anoxia affects the body by reducing the amount of oxygen-rich blood flowing to particular organs or tissues. A person may notice a bluish tinge to their skin. They may also find themselves unable to properly control their motor skills or gasping for breath. In severe cases, the diminished oxygen supply to the brain can result in brain damage or death.

Continue Learning about Anoxic Brain Injuries

How does the length of a coma relate to anoxic brain injury outcomes?
In some cases, anoxic brain injuries can cause people to go into comas. Generally, the less time a p...
Is an anoxic brain injury serious?
An anoxic brain injury is a serious and possibly life-threatening injury in which the brain is depri...
How do other illnesses affect anoxic brain injuries?
Cardiovascular disease and strokes can affect anoxic brain injuries by putting you at higher risk fo...
What should I do if I suspect someone has had an anoxic brain injury?
If someone is losing consciousness or you suspect that they've had an anoxic brain injury, call 911 ...